A locksmith is one of those very useful occupations that most of people will require its help at some specific point in life. There is a very common situation when you are in need of a locksmith service, specifically when troubles arise with home entrance, repairing locks, and installing them. But their job is not limited to your house; locksmiths can also deal with all the car locks around your city or neighborhood. Furthermore, locksmiths can also provide a new set of keys in case of losing them.
To become a locksmith and perform work in this field, you have to keep in mind that in some states – 14 to be exact – demand a government permit to deal with all the tasks related to this occupation, and some others ask for permit at county levels, like in the state of Nevada, for instance.
States licenses are provided for people who want to become a locksmith are given in places such as Alabama, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia; so if you decide to become a locksmith on any of these states, there could be differences in licenses for locksmith businesses and individual locksmiths.
Why is it important to become a licensed locksmith?
Most people are truly concerned about their security of their environment, belongings, and relatives. Among all of these aspects, people´s homes, including objects inside it and, primarily, their families. And the basic way to preserve this security feeling around their dwellings is by having a good lock system in all the house’s doors. And here the figure of a locksmith is required to provide this primary sense of security.
But it is necessary that all professionals in the area have to be identified and backed by a license provided by the closest authority department, which in the case that we are dealing with is the Government of the State of Illinois.
Before showing you the steps required to get a license in this state, there some facts that you have to keep in mind if you decide to become a licensed locksmith. Among them, you find:
- A locksmith provides assistant to people in case of problems with their houses and cars locks. While you are providing this service, you are helping others to feel secure about their belongings and, thus, their well-being as well
- You have to provide trust and reliability to your future clients. It is important that people feel secure to trust you their most personal properties and their relatives’ safety. If you cannot give this sense of trust and reliability, then you have to think twice before getting a locksmith license.
- You have to keep in mind that technology is becoming very relevant in the locksmith profession; so if you are not able to keep yourself updated in any possible way, then the decision of becoming a licensed locksmith is not the right one.
- Once you go through all the steps mentioned below, you have to take the decision of the area of expertise you are going to work with. You can decide the scope of your work by dealing with houses or cars locks, or if you are going to stay as a house locksmith or a business related one.
At the moment you have totally given a deep thought to these features; then, it is the moment to know the process to become a licensed locksmith.
What are the requirements to become a licensed locksmith in the state of Illinois?
If you have just moved to the state of Illinois or live there and it is your goal to become a locksmith, there are several requirements to fulfill in order to get a license. Among them, the following are necessary to be covered:
- Be at least 21 years of age, since the age of 18 only allows you to be an employee, no a professional.
- It is very important that you have not been convicted of a felony within a period of 10 years from the moment of asking for the license.
- Additionally, a dishonorable discharge from the armed forces is an impediment from obtaining a locksmith license.
- In order to start working in this field, you have to pass the Locksmith Licensure Examination provided by the state of Illinois.
- If you are the business owner you have to show a proof of insurance sufficient for the individual’s business circumstances.
What are the steps to obtain a locksmith license in Illinois?
In order to get a license to become a locksmith in this state, the first step to perform is visit the Illinois state page to apply for a license by clicking here
Once you access to the page, you have to essentially follow the three steps described below.
Go to www.continetaltesting.net to get access to the complete version of the Locksmith Licensure Examination. The test is going to be taken via Internet; please, answer all the questions you will see in order to make the process of getting the license properly.
There is a fee you have to pay to get the application for licensure and to take the examination. The total amount to pay for both instruments is set at the price of $167 for the time being; take into account that this price can vary after a certain period of time, so be always informed about any change in the future by checking the Illinois government Internet site from time to time.
After completing the licensure application found in the state website and submit it, you have to make an appointment within the following sixty (60) days after the submission to schedule a fingerprint. This step requires that you go to https://www.idfpr.com/LicenseLookUp/fingerprintlist.asp to establish the date for giving your fingerprint to the archive of the state locksmith registration. You have to pay a $32 fee.
Additionally, you have to submit a criminal background check, usually done by the FBI. Although the cost of this check is practically unknown, it is usually around $17 according to some information provided by other locksmith licensure applicants.
After completing all the stages described in the precious step, you have to take all that documentation and fee proves of payment to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR). They are going to be received and process in this department for data verification and future approval or disapproval.
The final step in the locksmith licensure application is one that requires the biggest amount of patient from you. The results can be shown within a period of up to six (06) weeks. If everything with the test goes smoothly, the department will notify you when your license is already available.
After this notification, there is a final licensure fee to pay and, if you are the owner, you have to provide your proof of insurance.
With all the steps covered, it is time to start working in the locksmith field and, by doing this, start making a living while providing a great service to those who would require it.