It has been a tradition for many years that if a problem arose in any of your house locks, it was time to call a locksmith to perform the needed task whether this one was the installing of a new lock; opening a door whose key was lost; or simply rekey a lock due the same key loss. For many years, this profession was limited to home environments, but the specialization and the updating of several tools allow the locksmiths’ service to go beyond the four walls of a house and move to work at offices’ locks and safes; and moreover locksmiths took car locks and keys under the services they are able to provide to their customers in the right and needed moment.
The tasks locksmiths perform to cars are not different from the ones they provide to homes and offices. Among them, you can find the car key cutting or programming – according to the sort of key your car use – in case of needing a copy or have lost or broken your key. And the service is not limited to four wheel vehicles, motorcycle keys and locks are also included in the offer nowadays.
What Cars Keys Can Be Copied or Cut?
Before you go and ask your car locksmith to provide you with any sort of service, you have to be certain what kind of keys can be cut by your local locksmith. Keep in mind that almost every key can be the object of duplication but you have to find out first if the locksmith closest to your location is the kind of professional to perform such task. If that is not the case, ask for recommendations from friends and other locksmiths for a reliable professional in the area.
Once you get that locksmith, this recommended professional can deal with the following sort of keys:
- Transponder Keys – vehicles after 1998 are equipped with transponder chips which are programmed to work with a specific car.
- Remote Car Keys, Electronic Chips, and Key Fobs which mostly need to be programmed.
- Standard Car Keys, for those vehicles which are not remote controlled such as cars, motorcycles, Vans, and Trucks.
Additionally to the key service, locksmiths can also provide you with several car accessories like Roof Racks, Steering locks, and so on.
Why Do You Need a Vehicle Key Cutting?
There are several reasons to base your decision to need a new single key or set of keys copy, but they are mostly limited to the motives presented on the lines below:
- Need new keys because you have lost them
- Forget where you placed your set of keys and need a replacement of your car or any other vehicle keys
- A broken or missing chip is very common nowadays for Replacement Transponder Chip
- Just for emergency cases, broken or lost key, get a spare set of car keys.
- You have locked out of your vehicle.
- Your Car Keys are damaged or you just left them in the ignition.
- Someone has stolen your vehicle keys.
- Your keys have snapped in your car door lock
Steps to Get a New Car Key
In order to get a key or a set of keys, it is necessary to provide your local auto locksmith the following information:
- Make and model of the car
- Registration of the vehicle.
- Vehicle Identification number
- A proof that can identify you properly.
Places or Businesses to Get a New Car Key
In order to get a key or a set of keys, there four main locations where you can get a new copy of your car key:
- Specialist Auto Locksmith
You can find this service close to you and it would be truly effective if they possess all the necessary equipment; if so, they can replace or duplicate the most types of vehicle keys.
- Your Car Insurance Company
Most of the insurance companies cover the car keys in case of stealing or loss. This is not going to affect your claim bonus. Once you reach your Insurance provider, the company is going to send you to a specialist car locksmith to provide with the needed copy.
- Roadside Assistance.
Depending on the type of vehicle and the equipment they possess, this sort of service companies can give a copy of your car key.
- Your closest car dealer
The last and most expensive of the choices to get a cut key is getting in touch with your car dealer. But most of the times they take pretty long time to do it since they don’t possess the right equipment to do it.
Most of these places can offer you this service directly; but most of the time, they are going to send to a local car locksmith to provide with the right service.
Other Services Provided by a Car Locksmith
Besides giving you the opportunity to get copies of any sort of keys, an auto specialist locksmith can also offer you the following:
- Program a remote key or transponder key with no problem if the right equipment and expertise are compiled
- Remote Key Fob can also be replaced by a dedicated auto locksmith. This task can be performed either by cloning your existing key or program a new one in case you don’t have the key.
- Duplicate transponder or microchipped keys in order to give a spare set of keys in case of losing or misplacing the original transponder key.
Most of the locksmiths, home or auto specialist, work 24 hours a day, so they are ready for an emergency in broad daylight or in the darkest of nights. To know how many of your local locksmiths are able to provide this sort of attendance, please check your locksmith listing on your favorite web browser and get in touch to get the service provide.
The service cost is going to vary according to several factors such as the brand of vehicle you have, the type of car keys and their availability. Furthermore, the locksmith can eliminate from your car’s database all the information from you lost key so they cannot be used again; increasing the amount of security you need for your vehicle.